A year after my blog got hacked, I’ve finally bothered to restore and fix everything; White-Walls is back!

In the time that’s passed, my interest in PyQt4 and Qt simmered into actual UI development. I turned sketches and rough designs into working code, learning a great deal in the process. I apologize to Python 2.x programmers, but Python 3 is my flavor of choice. That said, all of the code should be easily adaptable into working Python 2.7 code for those who wish.

I’ve named the project KyUI, pronounced KYOO-ee, because Q-UI was taken. The goal behind KyUI is straightforward: programmers often have to recreate the wheel for their software, which is a waste of time. There are quite a few widgets and dialogs that are common to most desktop applications but are not provided with Qt and are unavailable as source without stripping from other OSS projects. The alternative that most developers are left with is to rewrite dialogs for things like setting hotkeys, tree widget headers, and toolbar buttons. Another simple example is adding a gripper to QSplitterHandle, which is lacks one by default under most styles.

I’ll be discussing various topics here about thoughts on user-interface design, ideas I have, KyUI progress, and how-tos for writing PyQt code that goes beyond Mark Summerfield’s excellent Rapid GUI Programming with Python and Qt, including keyword arguments, a quick-and-easy solution regarding enumerators (e.g. Class.EnumValue in Class.Enumerator working without complex fussing, named tuples, or custom classes)

I’ve also done some serious hacking with Doxygen to make the result look (mostly) like Qt’s internal documentation, which is also available in the SVN source tree.

Look for more later.

9 Comments

1. Dannie Cantatore says:

Interesting post :) Add article to my site.

2. Cholesterol foods says:

You need to participate in a contest for among the finest blogs on the web. I’ll advocate this web site!

3. Harmony Knapke says:

There may be evidently a lot to identify with this. I consider you made some good points in features also.

4. hajar says:

I am so glad this internet thing works and your article really helped me. Might take you up on that home advice you

5. Jon says:

Thanks, all.

Cholesterol Foods: I appreciate it, but there’s not much content here yet for such a nomination. 😉

6. Lisabeth says:

Visited your web site through Reddit. You know I am signing up to your rss feed.

7. Vayu says:

I found your colorpicker widget from a google search and downloaded it. It seems like exactly what I need. Problem is I’m new to Python and trying to convert it to 2.7 seems daunting. Are there systemic issues with doing so? Could you give me some direction and pointers? I really want a colorpicker toolbar item for my app.
    Thanks,
    Vayu

8. Jon says:

Try using 3to2 from the Python Package Index. It basically reverses what 2to3.py does in the Python 3 distribution. You may have to do some tweaking with PyQt to make sure it supports Version 2 of the PyQt API. I haven’t experimented with PyQt under Python 2.x, so I can’t say for sure.

You probably should hit up the http://www.riverbankcomputing.co.uk/support/lists if you run into issues.

9. KK says:

The main.pyw file did not work due to lost of “WidgetViewer”. Any advice?
    I checkouted the project from googlecode. Thanks a lot.